[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Flatt Family

Stacy Flatt stacylm at gmail.com
Sun May 9 10:59:45 PDT 2010

Hello,

On both this mailing list, and SGGEE, as well as other genealogy sites
online, I see references to a Flatt family from Volhynia that moved to
Canada.

My Flatt ancestor is Adolph Flatt who  married Lydia Matschensky and moved
from Volhynia to the upper peninsula of Michigan.  In Michigan, the Flatts,
Matschenskys (various spellings), Seibs Rapps and Fergins are all related by
blood or marriage.  I've noticed these same surnames popping in similar
groupings in Canada as well as Michigan, which makes me think that they were
related in the old country.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Either with what they've found in their
research or perhaps some new places for me to check?  I'm specifically
interested in learning about who Adolph's parents are and where he came
from, but any information that could be related would be welcome.

Here is what I know:

Adolph Flatt born March 30, 1974, died 1946 in Engadine, MI, USA
Married Lydia Matshenski born March 17, 1882, died April 12, 1963, Engadine,
MI, USA.

Lydia was born in Marinkow, Volhynia, father Ludwig Adoph Matschenski,
mother Wihelmine Strohschein.

The SGGEE database says Adolph and Lydia were married in Schwerin,
Mecklenburg, Germany.

They arrived in the US on Dec 17, 1905 on the SS Main.

My father says that Adolph Flatt had the following siblings:
Fredrich, Karl, and Pauline.

FWIW, I joined SGGEE, and I'm trying to figure out what benefits that
provides, so if anyone can shed some light on how the membership can help me
find Adolph's family, that would be wonderful.

Thanks!
Stacy
--
http://www.mydnawasthere.com/ - My Genealogy Project