[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Flatt Family

Stacy Flatt stacylm at gmail.com
Sun May 9 13:15:08 PDT 2010

Thanks for your help!

I still have some questions.  I think the biggest problem is I'm not quite
sure how to use the resources on the website.

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Jerry Frank <FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Cannot help directly but here are some additional clues / points to
> consider.
>
> 1.  I have looked at the original birth record for Lydia.  A Rapp was one
> of the Pathen.  Viewing baptisms before and after

What does "Pathen" mean?

> confirms that the location is written as either Marinkow or Marienkow.
> Going to other records before and after, it is clear that we are dealing
> with the region south and southwest of Dorosin.  There are no Marienkow in
> our database of villages so I am convinced that this is likely to be what we
> show as Marjanowka, about 4 or 5 km south of Dorosin.  Looking generally for
> Flatt in Volhynia, we find one such family living at Bresalup / Presalup =
> Berezolupy located only 2 km SE of this Marjanowka.  The connection seems
> logical.

Where are you searching to find this?

> 2.  If you haven't already done so, be sure to consider Flath as an
> alternate spelling.  That shows another entry for the same family at
> Presalup including the birth of a Pauline in 1868 and marriage of a Carl in
> 1882.  Also shows another Flath family in Presalup as well.

That sounds promising, and Flath is talked about as a family legend, "our
name changed at Ellis Island" sort of thing.  I don't have dates for the
you find this information?

> 3.  I would ignore (or at least not take too seriously) the reference to
> Adolph's marriage in Schwerin.  That info somehow got into the date column
> for the marriage and the location is highly unlikely given their residence
> in Volhynia.

I heard that Adolph and Lydia went to Germany for 2 years before coming to
the states so it didn't seem outlandish - however, I'm not taking it as fact
until I can confirm.  I've started looking for records in that region in
Germany to try and confirm if that marriage did take place there and if so,
when.

> 4.  Have you tried contacting the submitter of that marriage info to see if
> more information is available?

Yes, we have been in touch.  :)

> Jerry Frank
> Calgary, AB