[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] St Petersburg records

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun May 16 20:30:48 PDT 2010

Gail,

In the 19th century, there were usually 3 sets of records for Volhynia.  The original set (births and deaths only) were created by a local Kantor or teacher in a village.  When the Pastor made his rounds, he would conduct marriages and add that data in his parish book.  Then he would copy the Kantor data into his parish book.  Finally, he would create a second copy of the parish book and send that in to the Lutheran Consistory office (Bishop's office) in St. Petersburg.  This last copy ended up in the St. Petersburg Archive where the years 1835 to 1885 were microfilmed by the LDS in the late 1980s.

The St. Petersburg Consistory covered a large territory of what is now western Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine.  You have seen the specific list of provinces.  A few other oddball ones are included such as Alaska which at one time was part of Russia.  This Consistory specifically did NOT include any parts of modern Poland, modern German, historic Prussia, nor any of the Baltic States like Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.  Consistory records for areas further east (such as where the Volga Germans were) were collected by the Moscow Consistory.

The only regions of direct interest to us are Volyn (Volhynia), Kiev, and Podolia.

I have seen a map that shows the coverage online but could not find it now, perhaps because it broke a copyright rule.  Hope this helps a little.

Jerry Frank