[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] St Petersburg records

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Sun May 16 20:40:01 PDT 2010

I will try to answer some of your questions.  Others will be able to provide
additional information.

A second copy of Evangelical (Lutheran) parish register books was sent each
year to the Consistory office in St. Petersburg.  LDS photographed these
books to the end of 1885 and made them available on microfilms.  These
microfilms were indexed and made available as a searchable index on the
Odessa website http://www.odessa3.org/search.html  SGGEE has the
Volhynia-only portion of the Odessa index on its website - tab Members Only,
tab Genealogy Databases, tab St. Petersburg Consistory.  In addition, SGGEE
indexed the Kiev and Podolia microfilms and added them to the St. Petersburg
data.  Finally, SGGEE is also currently indexing post-1885 records for
Rozyszcze parish (western Volhynia) from the archive in Warsaw and adding
that to the mix.

In summary, the SGGEE St. Petersburg Consistory database contains BMD data
for all of Volhynia, Kiev, and Podolia to 1885 (with some years missing)
plus Rozyszcze parish for some post-1885 years.

Originally, Zhitomir parish covered all of Volhynia.  In 1862, the western
part was split off to form Rozyszcze parish.  In 1870 another part of the
original Zhitomir parish was split off to form Heimtal parish in the center
of Volhynia.  In 1891 the western portion of Rozyszcze parish was split off
to form Wladimir-Wolynsk parish.   The first 4 or 5 years of Wladimir
records are available on microfilms.

Dick Stein