[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] hitting a road block

Rosella Mandau rosella.mandau at gmail.com
Wed May 19 07:07:05 PDT 2010

Can you please suggest alternative spellings for the surname Karacha.

We are looking for Carl and Christena Schaffer (nee Karacha) who came from
Russia to Saskatchewan in 1913. Her surname does not appear in any archives
that we've searched. We believe she had 2 sisters - Kate and Catherine who
also left Russia and settled in North or South Dakota. We have found Carl's
brother Martin on a ship manifest - the Andania, in 1913... but cannot
locate the manifest for Carl, Christena and their children. There is no
mention of thier exact origin in Russia on any of the documents we have
found.

We are hoping to identify where in Russia them came from, and to collect
more of Christena's family history. She and Carl were both born sometime in
the late 1880's.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Rosella Mandau