[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Bieberdorf/Rinas

D Thoms dthoms at sasktel.net
Sun Oct 17 11:50:00 PDT 2010

Hello
I have 2 questions that I would like to ask.
Question #1.
I have found the records for Selma Bieberdorf ID #1523226 and all the information matches with the family history except one thing I am not sure about.  Selma married Otto Rinas ID #1523227 ( my grandfather's brother) and according to my grandfather, Otto Rinas died in Volhynia in either 1930 or 1931 before my grandfather could send him money for passage to Canada.  Selma eventually remarried a man named Lenz and Otto's son Robert took his step-father's name.
But when you use the links in the records it shows Otto Rinas died in Oregon in 1989.
Can anyone tell me how to use the ID #'s to actually find the records.  Sorry if this is a silly question, I am still a real novice at this but am learning as I go.
Question #2
My sister and I are going to go to the Ukraine next October to find the village of Serbo-Slobodka.  We are wondering if anyone knows if it is better to take the train into Kiev and then try to hire a translator and driver to take us to the village or can we take a train closer to the village and hire a driver from a town nearby.  If anyone has any suggestions or tips about travelling in this area, I would love to correspond with them.
Thanks again.
Debbie Thoms