[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Question re: preserving records

Lorne Bohn lbohn at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 20 12:34:21 PDT 2010

The Big Picture:

Archiving and preserving information is not as big a problem as one might
think.  Museums and libraries have been concerned about this problem for
some time.  New computer technology will most likely not utilize hard drives
on individual computers at all.  Since the 1980's CLOUD computing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing  seems to be the direction in
which these institutions are headed.  There are several technical systems
that are used to accomplish this.  One is a complex system called  RAID
(Redundant Array of Independent Disks) in which many computers store the
same data.  When information is destroyed on one hard drive, the others work
together to rebuild what is lost.  See
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/raid.html

The Practical Option:

There are a number of cheap/free options available in which individuals can
store information they don't want lost.  One option is to use one of the
many backup solutions online.  An example is  http://www.dropbox.com   On
line posting with one of the geneological programs is another.  Regardless
of what you use, I would suggest visiting the website and e-mailing them to
ask any questions to see if what they have to offer suits your particular
needs.  Regardless of what system you use ALWAYS be sure your data is BACKED
UP!!

Regards,
Lorne Bohn