[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] HAMMERMEISTER, WINTER, HANSCH, REINAS, BABLITZ, OTTO, WINKELMAN families fr/Volhynia to Alberta Canada & Washington state

Katherine Jeffrey katherinemjeffrey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 13:32:03 PDT 2010

I'm trying to research these related families.  I have some stories in
letters from an aunt who wanted to preserve our family history.  The letters
were written over a ten year period, full of interesting details- mostly
unsourced.  I took the letters and plugged what I could into
ancestry.comand into the Washington state digital archives (half the
family emigrated to
Canada, half to Washington;) my paternal greatgrandparents and
grandparents(HAMMERMEISTERs) w/their children emigrated from Prussia in the
1890s-1904 to Canada, then to Washington about 1920. Johann
HAMMERMEISTER(1882-1953) and Caroline HAMMERMEISTER(1891-1969) married in
Ellerslie, Alta 20 Oct 1907.  Robert SCHIEWE, Dan RIENAS, Julianna
HAMMERMEISTER and Lydia WINTER signed it along w/Father LOEB.  Aside from
the pastor, they were all related somehow (REINAS is the maiden name of
Johann HAMMERMEISTER's mother; A SCHIEWE married a niece of the couple
later.)  Carolina's sisters were Lydia WINTER OTTO(1890-?after 1969) and
Wanda WINTER BABLITZ(1893-1976) who both lived in Bruce, Alberta in 1969,
and a younger sister Locadia WINTER WINKELMAN(1898-1920) who died in Vader,
WA.  Their mother, Louise HANSCH WINTER was a BABLITZ for a brief period of
time, then resumed the last name WINTER.  She lived with Lydia and Peter
OTTO in 1912 at the time of the census in Strathcona, and reportedly lived
with Wanda BABLITZ's family after living with the OTTOs.  Louise had one
more child in Canada: Edward BABLITZ(1907-?) While these people were in
Canada, the rest of the WINTERs and HANSCHs emigrated to the USA.  Wilhelm
WINTER(1835-1910) and Rosalia BIEDINGER(1839-1925; names verified fr/their
daughter's death certificates) emigrated with their daughter Julianna WINTER
KROLL's(1875-1954) family.  First they lived in Berrien, MI, then moved to
WA by way of Racine WI.  Later Peter's other sister(spelled
Emilie/Emilia/Amelia1862-1941) who had married Louise's brother
(August1870-?) and had a large family in Volhynia moved to the USA. There
were 2 other brothers who remained in Volhynia: Adam HANSCH had a paper
factory which was prosperous until WW2 when the germans took his factory.
Stephen HANSCH was a Lutheran/Baptist preacher who was taken away to Siberia
and starved.  (I don't know for sure when these events occurred, and I am
only guessing their last names; my aunt's letters are puzzles in places.) I
guess I should send for microfilm and review the whole file for clues.  If
these family names sound familiar to anyone else with german russian
relatives in Alberta Canada or anywhere else, I'll be happy to share the
notes about the different branches. Johann HAMMERMEISTERs(1882-1953) birth
location is Welingen, Russia(Wolhynen?) and his father's is Compreva Van
Jofske, Poland(how it's written on his US Naturalization papers.)  Maiden
names of wives on that side were Amelia REINAS(1862-1940) whose parents were
Ludwig REINAS and _ KARWALSKY (I am uncertain I have spelled these peoples'
last names correctly) and the generation before either BARTH or KERNS.  Any
help, any clues, any leads...  Whether in Canada or in Volhynia, or even
earlier in Poland, I would be very grateful for any help about where and how
to look.  Thank you for your time and help, Katherine Jeffrey