[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Land questions for Volhynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 28 14:12:53 PDT 2010

Edith,

I don't know of any one good source of info that describes the land and ownership conditions.  As Dave indicated, there are good records available from 1860 in the Zhitomir archives but they require personal or hired research.  And of course there is nothing to address the situation between 1830 and 1860 when many Germans arrived.  No one has done a full all-round study of the issue.

A big part of the problem is that in areas to the south around the Black Sea, Germans settled in larger communities so land ownership was probably easier to trace.  In Volhynia, Germans were scattered about in over 1400 small villages which would make tracing ownership much more difficult.  They would have local contracts with original landowners but they might not all be registered with government offices.

There is no doubt that some clearing of land and swamps was required.  Difficult however to determine how much.  It would seem that the forested and swampy areas that do exist are not suited to cultivation.  I can say this with some confidence.  If you compare the 1900s era maps to modern satellite images, you will see that there is little change in the boundaries between cultivated and forested or swamp areas in the last 100 years.  We have no maps pre1860 but my guess is that the land recovered for cultivation in the next 40 years was not in huge amounts.  And of course it would be area dependent.  Some regions may have had more clearing required than other regions.

Jerry