[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Grenke and Fritz

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Thu Sep 30 08:16:16 PDT 2010

Lubsin is about 20 km north of Sompolno, Poland and from 1815 to WW I it was
in so-called Congress Poland, i.e., the part of Poland that was ruled by
Russia.  It was only 15 km from the Prussian border.  Starting about 1865,
many Germans from the Sompolno area moved to Volhynia, particularly the
Torczyn area which was in Rozyszcze parish.  At the time, Volhynia was also
a province of Russia, so in fact, they were moving within Russia.  Between
the world wars, Poland was independent and wester Volhynia, including the
Torczyn area, was in Poland.

I have noted too that there is often confusion about the country in which
people lived.  People sometimes tried to put their place of origin in the
present borders, i.e., someone born in Rozyszcze parish before WW I when it
was in Russia, may say later that they were born in Poland because that area
was then part of Poland.  I have also seen descendants assume that their
ancestors were born in Germany simply because they were known to be ethnic
Germans, whereas they were acturally born in Poland or Russia.

I suspect that your Justine Fritz and Justine Friss are the same person.

I hope this helps,
Dick Stein