[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schmidtke of Chelm, Poland, Russia

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 15:20:27 PDT 2011

Mhairi and Charlotte,

I am a member of the Lublin Project team which is indexing parish
records from Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church from about 1840 to
1940. This includes the area around Chelm. You can find the index for
those records we have examined to date on the SGGEE website:
http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html
Records can be ordered from the church. Some are in German; many are in
Polish or Russian Cyrillic. Schmidt and its common variation of
Schmidtke are fairly common surnames. Winkler or Winkel are not as
common, and Fuhl is so rare I don't think I have seen it. Charlotte, it
would be helpful if you can provide the parents' names for Henriette
Bertha Schmidtke and brothers Michael and Daniel. Michael Schmidt(ke) is
a very common name.

Because Chelm had its own Lutheran church, records were not always
duplicated and reported to Lublin. We have also only completed about
half of the 70+ dvds with digitized parish records; some remaining would
include information from Chelm between 1878 and 1900. For someone to be
found in any of these records, there generally has to be a birth,
marriage or death involved; there are some confirmation tables. I
searched and did not find a Heinrich Schmidt(ke) and Justina Winkler at
this time, nor did I find the surname Fuhl.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry
Searching Pohl, Domres, Hapke, Mantei, Bittner/Buettner, Scheffler,
Dalke, Gatzke et al.