[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Schmidtke und Fuhl"

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Apr 17 09:33:28 PDT 2011

"Schmidtke und Fuhl"

The surnames in themselves contain a lot of information regarding the
distant past.
We often find in research the "Cluster Effect" which is similar to
"birds of a feather stick together" or "Blood is thicker than water."
Simply stated, persons cleaved to their clan.  Even religious
persuasion differences lacked the power of genetic similarity (blood).

The surname "Schmidtke" or Schmidt/Smith with its Low German
diminutive suffix "ke" denoting 'little' or 'from the family of', is a
finger pointing to the Baltic or North Sea coast. At times we see it
spelled in plural as Schmidts'ke indicating a Frisian/Lower Saxon
manner of writing it, indicating 'from the Schmidt's family'.

Schmidtke is Frisian/Lower Saxon as is Fuhl.  One indicates a
blacksmith, 'kowal' in the Polish language and translated as 'Kowal-
ski'  which differs because it indicates 'from the estate of the Kowal.

Fuhl is Frisian/Lower Saxon - Its meaning is 'fowl' or 'fowler', an
individual engaged perhaps in the poultry business. A Polish
translation of the surname may also exist.

The surnames Schmidt and Fuhl sound very similar to our present day
spellings of Smith and Fowl because the Frisian language is still the
closest language to the English language of today.

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2011-