[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Schmidtke und Fuhl"

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 11:19:20 PDT 2011

My computer upstaged me - wasn't finished yet!

Lars Menk says:

Fuhl  - borrowed from German surname Fuhl from either Pfuhl (German)
"moldy pool" or "vul" Middle High German "moldy, lazy, weak".  After 1800 -
Höchberg, Wüerttemberg (1832 previous name was Bernstein).

Many Schmidt varieties, but Schmidtke not included - and that is, as Otto
states, coming from the Baltic Sea or sometimes the North Sea, and is a
diminutive.

I take these definitions as arrows pointing towards clusters, and showing
pronunciations non-German speakers might not otherwise consider -
especially ones like Pfuhl.

Maureen

In a message dated 4/17/2011 11:11:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,