[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reading Handwritten Russian

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 08:02:55 PDT 2011

Kyle and other members of the list,

I am one of the volunteers indexing parish records for the Lublin
Project database on the public portion of the SGGEE Website:
http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html

These digitized parish records are held by the Trinity Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Lublin, Poland, and may be ordered from them. We also
found that between 1868 and WWI almost all records were written in
Cyrillic because the Russian Empire controlled much of Poland. Several
of us learned enough Russian to index the records; other members of
SGGEE are also familiar enough with these records to assist. Because so
many records from this era in other areas of Poland are in Russian, our
team created some translation aids. Translation aids for various
languages can be found here on the website:
http://www.sggee.org/research/translation_aids

Under the section on Russian, click the "hot link" for "These pages" and
you will find a Translation Resources link and a Napoleonic Formats
link. The latter has examples of the basic documents with typed English
translation under the handwritten words. All Napoleonic paragraph
records follow these examples very closely. It is possible to decipher
the records with these aids which also include the alphabet, sample
words, and the order of information found in each kind of record.

If you are coming to the SGGEE Convention in Winnipeg August 12-14, I
will be giving a presentation on how to decipher various kinds of
Russian parish records. I have a handout packet for everyone who
registers. If you cannot attend the convention, please let me know
privately and I will send you my handouts in an email. Most of the
handouts are based on these on the website so that all SGGEE members
will have ready access to them. If you have some crucial records which
are a total mystery, please contact me privately. One of us on the
project team will be happy to examine them for basic information after
the convention as schedules permit.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry
searching: Pohl, Domres, Hapke, Mantei, Wolski, Scheffler, Kuehn,
Buettner, Gatzke