[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help with EWZ file

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Sun Aug 7 08:46:09 PDT 2011

Brent, David,

My father's family (KUKASCH) were processed in Lodz on 29 January 1940  (EWZ film 1364507  #40392  V150136 - my grandmother, Holdine Koenig Kukasch) They were from Berestovets, Kostopol.
 My mother (Lydia Betke Kukasch) tells me that after the family was processed, they were sent to a camp in Aue.  My uncle Herman was born on 15 Feb 1940 in Aue, Saxony. The Kukasch family was then assigned a farm in the Zeronice/Turek region of Wartigau(where another aunt, Elfriede, was born in Aug 1941).

Her own family (Emil Bethke and Alwine Baier family ) were processed in Lodz about the same time.  They were from Solomka Kr. Rowno.  They came to Lodz by way of Krakow and Warsaw. After processing, they were sent to Dresden to a large holding camp.  They were still there in April 1940, when my mother's baby brother, Robert, died from measles.  They were assigned a farm near Dobra/Turek. My aunt -Blondine Bethke- married Wilhelm Gust in March 1941 in Turek.

Timeline helps.  Neither of the families stayed in the temporary camps long before being assigned a Polish farm to work - for the war effort. Very organized apparently.

Helen