[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 103, Issue 3

fenenga at connpoint.net fenenga at connpoint.net
Sat Dec 3 12:58:14 PST 2011

> due to lack of a paper trail, I continue to fail to find any
trace of my great grandfather. this in spite of looking everywhere I can
think of online for over 20 years. I don't have access to public
archives otherwise, with exception on a minor scale to the New England
Historical Society and NARA. without a paper trail, I don't have
knowledge of the right questions to ask for these people to look through
thier extensive holdings. and I can't begin to tell where to look
overseas.

> I am still seeking information on Charles J. Wagner, b.
abt 1857+- 3 years in Russia/Poland, son of Anton and Thekla. I have not
found him in an American census. I know he came here prior to 1883,
either under the name I know him by or under another name, since I can't
find either naturalization or immigration for him. he is not in any
census. I do have his marriage record but cannot find the application
for it. I have some medical records from the Marine hospital in Chelsea,
MA, some work records from Nara, but the seaman's protection record for
the late 1800's are long lost, and the records at the Boston seaman's
assistance league (I don't recall their exact name) are unsorted,
stuffed in boxes and unindexed. I don't have much in the way of good
enough dates for look-ups in the Boston Globe, and I don't know where
else to look for him.

> he is not in SGEE's database except for
where I submitted him more than 15 years ago in the surname interest
list. I fear I will never find him.