[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 23andme

fenenga at connpoint.net fenenga at connpoint.net
Mon Dec 5 17:00:46 PST 2011

> EARL, I've taken the test, but haven't noted if we share. there
are some people who haven't accepted invitations. I'm Cornelia Moore. I
have checked and don't seem to have Ashkenazi ancestry, but do have some
Ashkenazi cousins, and have a Polish/German ancestor born in Congress
Poland.

> CAROL, there is indeed a way to compare tests, and it's
free. it's called Gedmatch.com. you have to upload your raw data, then
you can compare to everyone else who's submitted their raw data. and
there's things such as chromosome painting, eye comparison and the like
that can be done at Gedmatch. it has a sister site,
Ancestor-Projects.com, where you can focus your data on groups-such as
Ashkenazi, Rroma, AmerIndian, Quaker, etc. you can even start your own
group. I recently heard of another program where you can also compare
your raw data with others, but haven't checked it out-that one might
have been reported on in Eastman's ezine, I'm not sure.

------------------------------

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011
15:40:52 -0700
> From: "Earl.Schultz"
> Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia]
DNA Testing & 23andMe
> To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org [2]

> I would appreciate hearing directly at my email
address from anyone on this
> list who has done the 23andMe DNA test.
Several of my fellow
> researchers/cousins have now done this test and
we are actually finding out
> some interesting things. For example,

Because I can now compare results with known cousins, I can identify
people
> who are likely to be 4th, 5th or 6th cousins. In one case the
person whose
> DNA compared highly with mine was also a SGGEE member
which was a first for
> me. We identified two surnames in common and
from the locations of these
> surnames we have some ideas of where to
look for records to move our lines
> together. It will take some time
but the DNA test has pointed the way and
> given me a new cousin.

For one of my cousins whose male lineage was uncertain because of an

illegitimate birth (no known father) and a much later marriage of the

mother, my cousin is showing a strong connection with others who have
the
> surname of the husband of the mother which is a good indication
that the
> mother married the real/biological father of the illegitimate
child. Lots
> of excitement in those results.
>
> For one person that I
cannot connect to but know that we are cousins because
> of 5 shared
surnames from the same villages, we are getting some better

indications of where the closest connect is likely to lie.

> DNA
results only become valuable when you have enough people inputting to

make comparisons easier. So if you have completed this DNA test, I
would
> like to see how closely you relate not only to me but to the
other people
> who have shared results with me. It is at this level that
it can start to
> help us find our paper trail to prove our
relationships.

> If you have not yet taken the DNA test, you can get
information at
> www.23andMe.com [3] and costs $99 plus, I think,
$7/month for one year. I am
> more than happy to share my results with
any other participant.

_______________________________________
> No infections found in this
outgoing message

http://www.iolo.com [4]

> ------------------------------

Message: 6

Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA Testing & 23andMe
> To:
"Earl.Schultz" ,
> ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org [7]

> Earl, I
have had my family DNA testing done at Ancestry.com. Do you think that I
should repeat it? Probably 23 is more complete. However, I wish there
were a way that all the DNA tests could be gathered and shared, even if
some have less than others. Carol

http://www.sggee.org/listserv.html [10]

> End of Ger-Poland-Volhynia
Digest, Vol 103, Issue 5