[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia

Schemioneck, Nell Nell.Schemioneck at AirservicesAustralia.com
Thu Feb 10 16:06:12 PST 2011

Family lore has it that my husband's greatgrandfather who came to
Australia in 1876 always said that he was "born in Germany, but he
wasn't a German".  His parents were married in Gumbinnen so I assume
that he was born in East Prussia.  I have always assumed that he was a
proud Prussian, but I could be wrong.

Nell Schemioneck

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of
Carol Duff
Sent: Friday, 11 February 2011 8:42 AM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia

When I started finding records in the archives of St. Petersburg, I
consulted my aunt, a teacher and the last living person of her
generation of my mother's family. I told her that I had found a birth
record in the St. Petersburg archive. She strongly asserted, "We are
German, we have never lived in Russia." "So what is this record," I
asked. "Well, that is our family but we never lived in Russia." After
the 3rd birth record, she began to yield a bit. "Well, maybe the edge of
Prussia had records that went to St. Petersburg. The 1st generation of
the family born in North America claimed to know nothing of living
outside of Germany. Carol