[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] germans from russia from ukraine and so on

Celtic Mythos celticmythos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 01:29:42 PST 2011

My father's parents were both German and spoke German as a first language, and I
never heard a word about Russia, until after they died.  I was getting a
security clearance and it was being held up because my grandfather was Russian.
Excuse me??? Russian??? I t was only when I started asking my dad and aunts
about this that I found that my grandfather had been born in Russia. It was only
in the last 2 years when I started doing genealogy that I found that my
grandfather was from Volhynia and my grandmother's parents were from Neu
Freundental. I wasn't close to them growing up, and in hindsight I wish I had
known more about them. My grandfather and his mother and 4 siblings left Russia
in 1906 (found them on ship's records). I would love to know how they got across
Russia, and on a boat in Germany, and how my greatgrandmother  got the $1000 she
is shown having with her when she came to the US.

Lexi