[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] germans from russia from ukraine and so on

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Feb 11 10:20:02 PST 2011

Thanks to Jerry and Dave for clarifying things.  I would only add that up to
1921, yes, Poland and Ukraine were part of the Russian Empire, but in
different ways.  I think that Ukraine was more integrated into the Russian
system of government since it had not been a "unified" kingdom (as Poland
had been) before being taken over piecemeal by the Russians.  Russia was
able to pretty much define the terms and send in its colonists.  On the
other hand, Poland was originally given a fair amount of independence
immediately after the Partitions, and the Russian government had to chip
away at this throughout the 19th century, being given good excuses to do so
by the Polish Revolts of 1830 and 1863.  Also, Russians took a very
different attitude towards Poles than it did towards Ukrainians.  Poles were
Catholic and western-oriented and very much disliked and distrusted, while
Ukrainians were thought of more or less as lost little brothers who merely
needed to be coaxed into realizing that they, too, were Russians at heart.
So, unless you are an avid Ukrainian nationalist, you can feel perfectly
justified in calling your "Ukrainian/Volhynian born" grandparents "Russian
Germans." The case is less clear with regard to Polish-born Germans.  Don't
we in our minds think of them as "Germans from Poland" rather than as
"Russian Germans"?  But then again, the very idea of a "Polish German" has
been anathema ever since the purveyors of Deutschtum began, between the
wars, to bemoan the existence of so many "polonized" Germans.

Because Poland had this veneer of being somewhat separate from Russia even
though within its Empire, our ancestors from there could give their place of
birth as "Poland" as well as "Russia."  I sometimes wonder if the choice for
"Poland" was sometimes made because it was not thought to be so degrading to
be from Poland as it was to be from Russia.  Poland had a higher culture.
Russians knew this and it bothered them a lot.  Several people have
indicated their ancestors' reluctance to admit having come from Russia.  I
ran into this, too, years ago when interviewing people in my home church in
St. Paul.  I got the feeling (perhaps unwarranted) that the Russian Germans
in the church felt a bit inferior to the German Germans, and so they kept
their origins quiet.  I'd like to know if others agree with me that some of
our ancestors simply felt embarrassed at having come out of that backwater
land of Russia.  Maybe this, too, could be part of a convention session.

Dick Benert