[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] germans from russia from ukraine and so on

Sig Matt sigmatt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 22 12:04:13 PST 2011

German-Russians, German-Ukrainians

To all the participants of this interesting and wide ranging discussion.

I strongly agree with Beth who first raised the question of making this a topic
for a convention session.
As all of us, beginners, amateurs and experts at some point in our search
come to realize that the more we understand about the subject, the more we
realize how much more there is to be learned to understand the whole picture.

The area is vast, from to days German-Polish border to the Volga, (even into
Siberia).
>From St. Petersburg to Bessarabia and the Caucasus.

The time frame 800 years or more and the politics ever evolving.That makes
it an enormous project.
One typical example: One family Ancestor, born in what could be called 'Central
Poland' at the beginning of the 20th Century, states 'that in School we spoke
Russian, in the Village we spoke Polish and at home we spoke German'.

One suggestion to tackle such a project could be for our experts to get together

and divide the time frame into segments for each to work on and flesh out the
subject matter in a common language for easy retention by the average
researcher.
These individual segments could then be compiled into one comprehensive
document covering the whole time period. What a wonderful priceless
achievement that would be. Still it would be a formidable undertaking.
How many volunteers are there out there?

The phrase of an aspiring Presidential candidate comes to mind:
 "If not now, when? If not us, who?"
But, can you think of a better legacy to leave your Grandchildren?
Time is ticking away. Fewer and fewer participants will be available in the
future.
Let's give it some serious thought.

Sig Matt
sigmatt at sbcglobal.net

PS:
By the way Gabriele Goldstone, who first raised the question about
German-Ukrainians, wrote the book "The Kulak's Daughter", based on
a true story.
Gabriele did an exceptional job of chronicling the events through the
eyes of a pre-teen 'Kulak's Daughter' (her mother) who faces survival of
an orphaned group of siblings in a hostile world.
I highly recommend this book to anyone seriously interested in what
life was like in different time periods.

Growing up in Eastprussia, in the late 1930's to 1947, we knew the
'Kulak's Daughter' and her sisters. They lived at their Uncle's place in our
neighborhood. They were in a higher age group than my siblings and I.
We children understood that they were orphans but no Adult ever spoke
to us about their background circumstances.
At a later period, beginning in 1945, for 3 years my siblings and I would
experience a similar orphan survival episode.

Sig Matt