[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translation question

George Shoning shoning at q.com
Sun Jan 2 00:11:00 PST 2011

Karen,

If you google the word "Kruggerechtigkeit", you will get several hits.  Most are links to German-speaking websites.  One of these had the following: Da auf dem Haus auch die Kruggerechtigkeit ruhte, d. h. der Ausschank von Bier und Branntwein, entwickelte sich der "Entenfangskrauge" zu einem im heutigen Sinne wahren Ausflugslokal.  Translated, this says:  Because the Kruggerechtigkeit also rested on the house, that is, the sale (serving, dispensing) of beer and brandy, the (inn) "Entenfangskrauge" grew into a true destination restaurant in today's sense of the word.  From this, I would say "Kruggerechtigkeit" means the right to sell and serve beer and liquors.

George