[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Redlich of Rozyszce

Raymond Redlich rkredlich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 21:51:04 PST 2011

Greetings to all.

I am trying to learn more about my grandfather, Reinhold Redlich, and his
early life in Volhynia.  Reinhold emigrated to the USA as a young man, and
as we approach the 100th anniversary of his landing in America, I would like
to put together as many of the pieces as possible to present to my extended
family.

Here is what I know so far:

Reinhold was born in 1893 in Rozyszce to Julius and Christine (Wurfel)
Redlich.  Julius was born in 1863 to August and Luise (Hoffman) Redlich.
Family lore has it that August (born 1835) came from "Kreis Schubin bei
Thorn" (Torun, Poland), an "old Crusader town."  (Should that be *Tuetonic
Knights*?)

Reinhold emigrated to the USA in 1911, reportedly to avoid being drafted
into the Russian army.  But after spending a few years here, he tried to go
back home.  However, the outbreak of World War I prevented him from going
any farther than England, so he returned to America.  There he married my
grandmother, Alarta Howard, and eventuallly settled in Milwaukee.  Three of
his brothers later joined him in Wisconsin.  (I also have Redlich relatives
in Alberta, Canada.)

If anyone can shed more light on my family tree, I will greatly appreciate
it.

By the way, I enjoyed the earlier discussions on Catherine the Great (last
April).  My grandfather used to tell about how "the Tsarina" had invited his
German people to Volhynia, but I later realized that this presented  a
chronological problem.  Thanks for the education!

Sincerely,
Raymond K. Redlich