[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Renas/Reinas/Rienas/Rinas/Rinos family Zhitomir to Alberta

kenkrell at comcast.net kenkrell at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 14:31:17 PST 2011

Kathy,

My Lange/Arndt/Riske/ Nikolai's came from Nowagrad Wolhynsk area and some settleded in Strathcona/Leduc areas from about 1906 to 1926. My mother Lydia Krell born Lange also mentioned Seidel/Weiss/Hammermeister/Gier in Puyallup that were friends or relatives of my Grandparents Joseph Lange and Adolphine Arndt. My mother and family left Canada for Yakima, Washington in 1919 and I have many Lange relatives in Washington and Oregon.

For your Weiss family I found the following today in the ancestry.com website. The 1920 US census for Portland, Multnomah, Oregon lists Louie Wiess age 60, Amele age 53, son Julius age 31, his wife Anna G. age 29, and two children Ella age 5, and William L. age 1 11/12. The family immigrated from Edmonton 16 August 1919 through Eastgate, Idaho on the CPR. In 1930 the family was in Puyallup, Pierce Co.,Washington. Louie was not listed and most likely died in the 1920's. Amelia now age 62 was with the Julius Weiss family who now had a two additional daughters Charlotte and Ruth.

There are Naturalization papers for Julius which lists his birth date as 1 August 1888 in Wolhynia, Russia. He was Naturalized 24January 1924 in the Western District court of Washington. Julius occupation was Butcher. William was born 19 January 1919 in Rossylin, Alberta. There is also a Social Security death index for Julius of Apr 1966.

As a side note, the 1930 census in Puyallup for the Julius Weiss family has the next door neighbors as Fred and Olga Sidel (Seidel). Fred Seidel and my Great Uncle Adolf Arndt immigrated together on 14 May 1912 to Strathcona to join brother in law Josef Lange. Fred married Olga Banasch in 1914 in Edmonton and immigrated to Puyallup in 1921.  Also Lydia Gie r married a Hammermeister in Puyallup and they lived most of their years in Oregon. They had one daughter. A cousin to this Hammermeister, Eugene, an attorney lives in Sumner, Washington where I live.

I think we have more family connections than the ones I list. let's keep in touch directly using my e-mail, kenkrell at comcast .net.

Ken Krell