[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Looking for Information related to the Jorek family out of Schlesien

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:20:21 PDT 2011

Hi Olaf

Just looking at two place names, I can see the Dammratsch and Zawisc were in
Kreis Oppeln (county level jurisdiction).

Were your people Lutheran or Catholic?
The names do look to be of Czech (Bohemian) origin, not uncommon for this
area.  Czechs on the move tend to be Reformed Lutheran.

If Catholic, the parish would be Falkowitz.  the Mormon church (LDS) has
microfilmed records; see
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=13994&disp=Kirchenbuch
&columns=*,0,0

If Lutheran, the parish would have been Karlsruhe (also spelled Carlsruhe).
I do not know where records are; I cannot find them in the online catalogue
of the Polish state archives.

I found a website for someone doing research in this area, with some (at
least ONE) of the same surnames. See
http://tribalpages.com/family-tree/curiousgeorge

Also, there is a genealogy webpage for Carlsruhe at
http://www.carlsruhe.net/geschichte/geschichte.htm

An answer to a query from around 2000 seems to suggest that the church
records may have been destroyed in 1945.
http://list.genealogy.net/mm/archiv/schlesien-l/2000-04/msg00175.html
Don't give up hope yet. I am an optimist; it just means that they have not
been found yet, and maybe they will turn up up some day.

If your German is less than perfect, you can still read the page with the
assistance of http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en
It is tedious "cutting and pasting", but it works.

I prefer to use the Google Chrome web browser.  It's a free download; you
don't have to give up Microsoft explorer for things.  But Chrome recognizes
the page as German, and offers to translate it for you.  Great stuff.

Take a look at http://wiki-en.genealogy.net/Schlesien; knowledge is power.

al muth