[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans from Russia around Kalish, Poland

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Fri Jul 15 19:47:58 PDT 2011

There may be more than one Rau family in the
Edmonton region, but I know for sure that there
has been a Rau family in the Barrhead area about
60 miles NW of Edmonton .  I checked the Barrhead
Local History Book and found a bit of
information.  John Rau and his wife came to
Canada in 1913 from Ohio and settled in the
Barrhead district.  The Raus had six children -
Philippine, Altha, John, George, Ara and
Mariann.  They lived in a rural district near
Barrhead that was originally named Dusseldorf,
but at the end of World War One the district name was changed to Freedom.