[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mantik's of Augustynow

Jeff Baker jeffieb at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 00:21:52 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find more information about my family, the Mantik's ((likely
mis)spelled Mantick most places here in the USA) that emigrated from Russian
Poland in the 1890's.

I have census data from 1900-30 that lists their places of birth, as
respectively "Poland (Russ), Russ. Polish, and Poland," with the last having
German as their mother tongue.

I've found a ship manifest from Dec of 1895 that lists "Augustynow" as their
last residence.

However, the problem is that the SGGEE site's Russian/Congress Poland
Gazetteer lists 4 Augustynow's, all fairly close to each other:

Augustynow, Belchatow, Lodzkie, Poland
Augustynow, Kolo, Wielkopolskie, Poland
Augustynow, Slupca, Wielkopolskie, Poland
Augustynow, Wieruszow, Lodzkie, Poland

Their names and dates are:

Fredrich Mantick - born June 1865 (may not be exact)
married Paulina Bonas/Bornas/Boarnes in 1891 - born June 1864 (may not be
exact)

children:

Amelia, born March 21, 1892 and Gustav, born October 10, 1893.  My
great-grandfather, William, was born here in the USA in June of 1899.

If anyone has any information on my family, or some advice on how to find
out which Augustynow it may have been, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Jeff Baker
Pennsylvania, USA