[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Traveling to Rowo

cgschott at comcast.net cgschott at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 10:01:39 PDT 2011

Although I haven’t been to Rowo, I’ve traveled in Ukraine about six times. Of course one needs to be thoughtful about where you’re going and what you’re doing, but I’ve never felt in danger there. In fact, my experience with Ukrainians has really been that they’re amazingly warm and welcoming. (And honestly, I have to be thoughtful about where I’m going and what I’m doing in Seattle, too!)

The only marginally concerning situation I’ve been in is that our car/van was stopped a number of times by officials looking for bribes. But in every case, I was with an experienced local driver who easily handled the situation (and generally without having to pay the bribe).

Unless your cousin is an experienced traveler, having a local contact to help navigate some of this would certainly be helpful. Since Don Miller is most familiar with that area, that would probably be the biggest help. But I do have a couple of contacts in Ukraine (though nowhere near Rowo) that I could ask for advice if you'd like.

Carolyn

Message: 8