[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re FW Skorkowka village - Kowalski/Fuchs/ Settled in the early 1800's they changed their surname from Schmidt to Kowalski and more....

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 6 14:53:15 PST 2011

I cannot answer all your questions but will make the following comments:

1.  Kowal = Schmidt = Smith
Unfortunately that makes it a very common name that can be difficult to research.

2.  It is possible that your Fuchs family were at one time Jewish but only the record books can prove it.  I would suggest it is unlikely.  Jews did not use surnames until mandated to do so by Napoleon in the late 1700s.  It is far more likely that the Jews adapted or adopted the Fuchs surname than that a conversion occurred.  There is truth to the story about Jews being paid to convert but this was more of a factor, if I recall correctly, in western Europe than in Eastern Europe.

3.  Skorkowka is in the Tomaszow Mazowiecka district and would have been in the Lutheran Parish of that name.  This is probably the town shown as the birthplace of Amelia Fuchs.  However, the reference in her birth record could be to the Parish rather than the actual village of residence.

4.  I assume the records you found on the Galizien site were the extractions of the EWZ records.  It is certainly possible that these are the relatives you suspect but you will need other corroborating records to prove it.

Jerry Frank