[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re Gustav Friedrich Sturm

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 14 10:32:13 PDT 2011

Sandie,

You asked for any snippets of info so here is a bit about the village.

Powunden still exists on the NW side of the airport.  The modern name is Khrabrovo.  Compare a modern GOOGLE Maps with satellite view of the region to this map http://www.mapywig.org/m/WIG100_300DPI/P29_S31_29_CRANZ_300dpi.jpg and you will see that all the old roads around the west and north side of the airport and the village roads are still the same as the 1930s and that the village is still there, though somewhat expanded apparently to accommodate services for the airport.  Even the railway is still there between Powunden and the airport.

If you look closely at the GOOGLE Map in satellite view, you can see the ruins of a church a short distance SSW of the village, shown as Kirchengrund on the map.  (west side of the road and just north of the junction with a service road to the airport on the east side)

Jerry