[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Origin of Germans in the Sompolno - Websites

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri May 6 10:48:56 PDT 2011

Lois,

I haven't seen a response to your question yet so I will try to do it now.

Sompolno is in former Russian Poland.  Many Germans from there migrated to Volhynia but many also migrated directly to North America and other places.  Russian Poland is covered by SGGEE resources.  See for example some pictures at http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/parish_histories/KalischDiocese/SompolnoParish/SompolnoPics.html

Being from Sompolno has nothing whatsoever to do with the possibility of your ancestor being Jewish.  Both Russian Poland and Volhynia were within the Pale of Settlement where many Jews lived but certainly not exclusively.

Jerry