[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] name variation spellings

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Mon May 23 11:10:01 PDT 2011

Hi

Having a number of books on the etymologies of names, I agree with the
variant spellings, but for the person transcribing records for St. Pete, I
should think that would depend heavily on his/her native tongue as well as
deciphering ancient handwriting and dialects.  If German,Geike would sound
something like Guykeh, accent on the first syllable.   And the -ke  ending can
point to an origin anywhere along the Baltic Sea as well as the North  Sea.
I don't know your time frame, how long they were in Odessa, but hope  this
will give you some further ideas.

In a book on German names (Bahlow), there is:

Geike (Hamburg) see Geick.
Geick: Gei(c)ke Hamburg: Frisian personal name, patronymic Geyken, Gaiken,
see Gayko Lyursna 1443, Allardus Gaicama 1499.

On Polish names (Hoffman):
Giec see Kiec
Kiec: "skirt" or "the corncrake" (bird) - and several Polish  spellings.

In a German/Jewish book (Menk) none.

In another German one (Brechenmacher) none

Maureen Schoenky (originally Schoenke)

In a message dated 5/23/2011 10:44:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,