[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] name variation spellings

Linda Marks Pauling lmpauling at utech.net
Mon May 23 17:09:58 PDT 2011

  "I usually suggest  to genealogists that they collect their family names,
rather than trying to  "correct" them.   I have seen records in which one
single person's  name was spelled 6 different ways - in one
paragraph! "
I like your suggestion, Maureen.

A friend who came to the US from Bulgaria once told me the hardest thing for
him was spelling because there was no such thing in his home. "You simply
wrote what you heard," he explained. And that was after WWII.

As one who is attempting to extract information from the records in Sierpc
and Lipno, I'd like to add the challenge of reading the handwriting,
especiallly in some of the records, and also the sometimes poor copies.
You are correct, Nelson, that the people doing extractions are doing the
best we can. :-)

Linda Pauling