[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 23andMe DNA testing

Keith Trott trottkg at telus.net
Thu Nov 10 20:25:56 PST 2011

It seems to me that they are going about it incorrectly.  Meiosis does cause
mixing of genetic material from both parents but mitochondrial DNA comes
only from the mother.  So this is the DNA that should be analysed if you are
going to trace you maternal linage.  On the other hand only the last 6 to 8
genes on the Y chromosome have capability to recombine so if you want to
trace your paternal linage you should be looking at the remainder of the Y
chromosome.

If you want to bone up on genetics, may I suggest
http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/disease/finlay_bio.html?  Click on
lectures --> Holiday Lectures --> then Genomics and Chemical Genetics or Sex
Determination or a number of other very stimulating lectures, IMHO.