[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] slightly OT-Elizina Lodosky & varients

fenenga at connpoint.net fenenga at connpoint.net
Wed Nov 23 23:39:01 PST 2011

> I have an apparently Irish/English Higgins family of Tennessess,
U.S.A., who named a child of theirs Lodoisky. her niece was named
Elizina Lodosky. her niece was also named Elizina Lodosky. dna testing
states their ancient ancestry was "German" (knowing Germany is a
relatively recent nation, and the earliest known ancestress was born in
1786).

> internet research tells me both Elizina (diminuative for
Eliza?) and Lodosky (LIDOCHKA) (diminiuitive for Lydia) are Russian, but
not much else.

> does anyone know if there was an historic person
with this name around 1800-1820? if not, is this an ancestral name?

> I've noticed a number of spelling variants from FamilySearch that are
surnames. if this was the mother's actual birth name (we know her as
Elizabeth) how do I find out. so far searches for deeds and marriage
records have failed. about 30 courthouses in Tennessee have burned to
the ground and much was lost in the process.

> thank you for any
thoughts or knowledge about such a name.