[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ottawa Valley (Ontario) Germans from East Prussia

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Sun Oct 2 14:57:56 PDT 2011

I've always known that the Germans in the Ottawa Valley came from East Prussia because many of the names I see in the obits are similar to those from Wolhynia.

This is a typical one from the Renfrew area.  It mentions, Remus, Welk, Rhode and Kauffeldt.

One of my neighbours is from the area and was lucky enough to have enough info to take her back to the homes of her  ancestors.  I gather those Germans from Prussia went West instead of East!

KAUFFELDT, Louise Matilda
Peacefully at Renfrew Victoria Hospital, with her family by her side on Thursday afternoon September 29, 2011. Beloved wife of the late Basil Kauffeldt of Cobden (formerly of Letterkenny) in her 91st year. Daughter of the Late Frederick and Annie Remus of Lyndoch. Dearly loved mother of Rosalie (James Russett) of Braeside, and Cameron (Gail) Kauffeldt of Renfrew. Predeceased by her infant twins, Garry and Glen. Dear sister of Midred (the late Dennis Rhode), Edith (the late Francis Welk), Wilbert (Madeline) Remus and Harold (Doris) Remus. Predeceased by two brothers and their wives, Wilfred (Florence) Remus and Eddie (Beatrice) Remus. Cherished Grandma of Karen (Jeff Johnston) of Kingston, Kim (Ken Grenier) of Amprior, and Chris Kauffeldt of Renfrew. Nanny will be missed by her great- grandchildren, Karisah and Janelle Johnston and Shawn Grenier. Friends may call at Zohr Family Funeral Home, Killaloe on Sunday, October 2, 2011 from 2-4 and 7-9pm.
 Visitation also at the Lyndoch Baptist Church, on Monday from 10-10:30 am. Funeral service commencing at 11am at Lyndoch Baptist Church, with interment to follow in the Lyndoch Baptist Cemetery.

Published in The Ottawa Citizen on October 2, 2011