[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Chicago

DANWWAGNER at aol.com DANWWAGNER at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 05:23:06 PDT 2011

Let me add to this thread on Germans from Russia/Poland/Prussia to  Chicago.

My Grandfather (Gustav Wagner, born 1885 in Redufka, which I think is the
same as Retowka, Volhynia) immigrated with a "cousin" (actually nephew, Emil
 Weiman) to arrive in Chicago in February 1910.  Gus then hosted his father
 (Adam Wagner, born about 1847 in Vincentinowka) who visited in August
1910; his  brother (Christian Wagner, born 1882 in Retowka) who arrived in March
1910 and  worked in Chicago for a couple years; another brother (Heinrich
Wagner, born 1874 in Retowka) who arrived in Feb 1911 and also worked in
Chicago for a couple years; and a third brother (Adam, Jr, born 1889  in
Retowka) who arrived in May 1912 and worked in Chicago until killed in an
accident in 1915.

Grampa Gus returned to Elsenau, Germany, twice in 1914, the second  time
bringing back to Chicago Hulda Bansen (born 1893 in Roschischtsche) whom he
married in Chicago five days after their arrival.  Brothers Heinrich and
Christian had wives and children back in Volhynia, so they returned there
after saving some money.  Both brothers were they caught up in WWI and  were
drafted into the German and Russian armies respectively.  They  eventually
immigrated with their families to Edmonton, Canada, in 1927.

Many of our family members who lived in Chicago were buried in St. Luke's
(formerly St. Lucas) Cemetery, 1500 West Belmont Avenue,  Chicago.  The
cemetery is on the edge of an ethnic neighborhood of  Germans and Poles, and the
cemetery helped me find three graves and gave me  their file information
for free.

My ancestors came to America from Bremen to Baltimore or Philadelphia,
from Hamburg to New York, or from an unknown port of departure through Santos,
Brazil (undoubtedly visiting family there while enroute to Chicago).
Adam, Sr. came to New York in 1910, and Gus and Hulda came through  Ellis Island
in 1914.

On or near Drake Avenue, on Chicago's north side where my family lived, are
 two Lutheran churches.  However, one was originally a Swedish Lutheran
church.  The other (originally a German Lutheran church) gave me some
information on my grandparents' wedding there in 1914.

I would love to hear from anyone who thinks we may be related.  I  would
also love to hear from anyone with a connection to Elsenau, Germany (not  far
from Berlin), as I wonder if this might be our ancestral village before  my
family settled in Volhynia.

    Dan  Wagner

In a message dated 10/9/2011 5:27:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,