[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Importance of diacritic letters

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Oct 17 13:29:37 PDT 2011

Am 17.10.2011 20:40, schrieb Nelson Itterman:
> Hello Jerry:
> I understand that in thr Russian Language that there is something following
> the last "n" in my name leaving it Itterman in stead Ittermann.
> Have you heard about it?
> Nelson
Hello Nelson,
in Russian and Polsish there is no consonant doubling. So your surname would be simply spelled

    Итерман

without the mentioned final character.
But if there is a L as last letter and it should be pronounced in the German or English way, you would have to add a

    ь [мягкий знак, myagkij znak, soft sign] like in Фридрихсталь [Friedrichsthal]

Günther