[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Importance of diacritic letters

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 17 15:42:40 PDT 2011

Everyone has their favourites and there certainly are a variety of options.

If you use the original reference I gave at GOOGLE Translation http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT

Every language available has a little keyboard symbol in the bottom left corner of the insert text box.  Click on it and an enlarged version will appear.  You can now type directly from your real keyboard following the layout shown without the need to click on special letters.  Where needed for additional symbols or diacritics, use Alt+Ctrl and of course, CapsLock or Shift.  To turn it off, click the icon again and you are back to a normal keyboard.

For example, with German as the language, use the semi-colon key to type an o with umlaut.  If you then need to type a semi-colon, just click the icon to turn off the special keyboard and you can type it.

Set it for Russian and you can type out Cyrillic text directly on your own keyboard.  Remember that this is a translation device, not a transliteration device.  You cannot expect it to convert your surname into Cyrillic letters for you.

Jerry