[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Shtetlseeker has changed its name

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Sep 2 11:52:53 PDT 2011

On Sep 2, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Albert Muth wrote:

> Many of us are well accustomed to using JewishGen's ShtetlSeeker to locate
> villages on a map when we are not 100% sure of their spelling. And we are
> also used to explaining the inevitable follow-up question “what's a
> shtetl?”  The database covers much more than Shtetls, which are generally
> considered small towns or villages with large Jewish populations. There are
> some 1.8 million place names in the database.
>
> Shtetlseeker has changed names, and will be known now as JewishGen
> Gazetteer. My bookmark takes me to the same place:
> http://www.jewishgen.org/communities/loctown.asp
>
> My thanks to the blogger at
> http://www.bloodandfrogs.com/2011/09/no-more-shtetls.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BloodAndFrogs+%28Blood+and+Frogs%3A+Jewish+Genealogy+and+More%29for
> bringing me up to date.
>
> Now, I just need to put my new vocabulary word to use (JewishGen
> Gazetteer).
>
> Al

A shtetl ist schmaller than a stadt. . . so is added the diminutive suffix 'L'.

Sharing my personal experience so it may only be a personal problem:
Using JewishGen Gazetteer be mindful of an added search feature listed under
"Search Method:"  'Phonetically Like — Beider-Morse Phonetic Matching'
At times it does not return the village I am searching for.
So I use the older method:
I use "Search Method:" 'Sounds Like — Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex' and it churns out the village sought.

. . .   Otto
         " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2011-