[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] a migration question

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 6 15:53:04 PDT 2011

While it is possible to do migration pattern studies (and Albert Breyer did just that in the 1930s), I don't think the accuracy of it is good enough to allow for quality genealogical research without requiring a lot of luck to be part of it.

Sometimes a church record in a German location will tell you were a particular family migrated to but that will often be wrong.  My Hemminger family left Nagold, Wuerttemberg in 1803, ostensibly to West Prussia.  In fact, I found them in South Prussia, a very significant difference.

Take that idea in reverse - We know that Nagadowo in Poland near Gostynin is named by Wuerttemberg Germans for Nagold and yet I have not found any Germans from Nagold that settled there.  Though there may have been a dominant dialect or particular origin of Germans in any one settlement, the fact is that they were mixed in there with Germans from a lot of other regions as well.

Sometimes families traveled in groups of neighbours and relatives but other times they went alone and can be found anywhere.

Also be aware that Baden-Wuerttemberg did not exist as such in the 19th century.  You were either in Baden or you were in Wuerttemberg.

Jerry