[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia

DANWWAGNER at aol.com DANWWAGNER at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 05:23:28 PDT 2011

Art,

    I can't really answer your question, except to  share some family
history.  My grandfather and his family left  Volhynia through Germany to Chicago
in 1910-1912.  My grandfather and  a cousin came first, and they stayed
permanently (except for my  grandfather's trip back to Elsenau, Germany, to
bring over his finance  in 1914).  Then, in an example of chain migration, my
grandfather assisted three brothers and their father to join  him.  Since
two brothers and the father had families back in Volhynia, they  returned home
after some months or a year or so of work.  (PS, I would love  to find
records of their return to Volhynia.  Passenger lists I've seen  only record
their coming to America.)  The other brother died in  Chicago in an accident.
Back in Volhynia, the whole family got caught  up in WWI, with the two
brothers drafted into the German and Russian armies  respectively, followed by
the Bolshevik revolution and continued fighting  between the Ukrainians and
Russians.  My grandfather's brothers were  not able to leave again until they
emigrated to Canada in the late  1920's.

    I believe they began leaving Volhynia in 1910  mainly because the
Russians were reneging on the promises made to get  Germans to settle there over
the preceding 150 years.  Importantly, Russia  began conscripting ethnic
Germans into the growing army as the world headed  toward world war.  Of
course, the New World also promised jobs,  cheap land, and a better life.

        Dan Wagner

In a message dated 9/13/2011 4:52:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,