[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gatzke

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat Apr 21 09:15:59 PDT 2012

Polish "Gać"

Before I'd become too excited over the 'cut & paste' definition below, I would seriously consider a Baltic coastal place-name meaning.  it fits in with our research scope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gać,_Gmina_Słupsk

Both Gatzke and Szatkowski surnames would be place-names. They remain two DIFFERENT surnames.

On Apr 21, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Gary Warner wrote:

> Otto,
>
> I was afraid of that.   Does Gatz have any meaning?
>
> Gary
>
> On 4/21/2012 7:51 AM, Otto wrote:
>> Two DIFFERENT surnames.
>>
>> GERMAN:
>> Gatzke is Lowland German/Plattdeutsch.
>> The surname is "Gatz" with the added diminutive "ke" , = little Gatz or child of Gatz.
>> A cut&  paste on the meaning:
>> "The surname Gatz is German. It's from Gato, a short form of an old personal name formed with the same root as Middle High etc  (Gadafried)"
>>
>> POLISH:
>> An answer from Roots Web:
>> "SZATKOWSKI or Szadkowski surnames come from a place
>> SZADEK (there are several in Poland) Szatkowski = "a
>> man from Szadek or Szadkowsice". Szadek was written
>> too as Szadko or Szadkow in old documents. The name
>> Szadek is connected to the word "szady", "sady", which
>> means "grey", "ash-blond".
>>
>> Rymut and Rospond give the samy etymology for the name
>> place "SZADEK".
>>
>> Note: "d" before "k" is pronounced as a "t" in
>> Polish."

. . .   Otto
         " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2012-
                "The World Is . . . what we make of it."