[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gatzke

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 11:14:31 PDT 2012

I usually gobble up everything Otto writes, because he is so thorough, and
I love the etymological histories and evolutions of names and places too.
On the other hand, I hesitate to believe a lot of Wikipedia, knowing who
they  are and checking what they choose to use for sources - but do not ignore
 them, either.     Even the lofty OED and Britannicas and  Brockhaus and
all the others make mistakes sometimes, but I still go to them  first,
Wikipedia last.

A name with a 'ke ending indicates "little" or "family of" and usually, but
 not always, emanates from the Baltic Sea (Öst See) area, as one of mine
did  (Schoenke from Königsberg/Kaliningrad Ostpreußen and also found in
Frauenburg/Frombork).   That is also, of course, Schönke, but screwed  up by
someone in the USA into Schoenky, which my ancestor did not bother to  correct,
so he was born with an 'e', died with a 'y'.      Umlauts are rarely used in
North America, and extremely rarely do I find anyone  who can pronounce
'oe', in the Anglicized sound or the Germanic sound  either.  It usually comes
out as a sneeze.   I have a long,  long list of ways people have tried to
spell that.  I know that Schoen  means beautiful/handsome/nice and I'll buy
that!   Some are not so  flattering.   My oldest brother disagrees, even when
I send him  documentation, but then that's his job.

So that's why I'm called - just Maureen.

For whatever it's worth, Bahlow's German Names says:
Gatz, Gatzke - East German/Slavic - perhaps related to the personal name
Gaczko, Breslau 1328.

 Lars Menk's naming dictionary says:  (no Gatzke) for Gatzmann,  possibly
from the abbreviation GaTs for Gab'ay tsedakah - Arameic or Hebrew -
official in charge of alms, and mann, German for man.

In Hoffman's Polish Names - no Gatzke either - but Gasc - name element Ga-
from Gawel, Gawryzyjal, and suffix -sz or -gach, lover.  Now, you have to
like that one!  In his preface, under Foreign Suffixes, he  says:
-ke German, but is used primarily with Germanized surnames derived from
Polish or Czech first names, example Raschke is from Raszka or Raszek, short
forms of Raclaw or Radoslaw.

Duden's Lexikon der Familiennamen -
Gatzke - Von einem Rufnamen polnischen Ursprungs (Gatzko, Gaczka)
abgeleiteter  Familienname.    Herkunftsname zu den  Ortsnamen Gatzken (Schlesen).

What do you think, Otto?

just Maureen

In a message dated 4/21/2012 9:19:39 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,