[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Kolonist" Friederichsdorf aka SolomkaVolhynia

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Apr 27 14:23:41 PDT 2012

William,

Subjects of the Russian Empire were categorized into various "estates," each
of them having rights and obligations peculiar to that estate alone. Below
the nobility, clergy, and townsmen stood the various types of peasants (some
privately owned, some owned by the state). Slightly above the peasants stood
the colonists whom  Catherine and Alexander brought in to settle areas newly
conquered or otherwise in need of population, mostly in the Volga region and
in South Russia. The German colonists were given many privileges of
self-rule, and stood directly under a special arm of the government known as
the "Welfare Committee" (Fürsorgekomite). I am not sure exactly how the
German settlers in Volhynia, who were certainly called "colonists", fit into
that structure in South Russia.  Perhaps someone else can shed light on
this.  It is certain, however, that Volhynian colonists were not placed in
the same estate as were the Russian and Ukrainian peasants around them.
After the freeing of the serfs in 1861, this all had to change, because the
whole idea of a peasant "estate" was destroyed by the emancipation.  It took
ten years thereafter for Russian officials to figure out how to deal with
the German colonists whom they wanted to deprive of their special status and
make just like all other freed Russian peasants.  In 1871, they finally
succeeded.  They abolished the Welfare Committee, and gave the colonists a
new name--"Settler-owners, (formerly called colonists)". Much of their
self-rule was taken away, and they were expected to take part in the newly
established (1863) "zemstvo" organization of local government. They were
also to make more use of the Russian language and, 3 years later, were
subjected to military service.  In spite of this change, the word,
"colonist" continued to be used, but it no longer carried the legal
distinctions that it had before 1871.

Hope this helps.  More can be found in Adam Giesinger, From Catherine to
Krushchev.

Dick B.