[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Occupation Translation/Explanation

Paul Rakow paul.edward.luther.rakow at desy.de
Wed Aug 1 12:36:17 PDT 2012

  John,

     A General-Paechter would be a wealthy person who rented a large
  estate of government land from the king, usually for 6 or 12 years.

      In the 18th century the state gained a lot of its income from
  renting out estates; in the 19th century it became less profitable,
  (partly because the peasants on the estates had been freed from serfdom),
  and many of the government estates were sold into private hands,

           Paul Rakow