[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] geography assistance: "Gruec"?

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Aug 8 23:46:35 PDT 2012

Am 29.07.2012 19:51, schrieb Craig Schiller:
> My first problem is that our family lore has had my great-grandfather
> and his siblings being born and raised in "Gruec, Kalisz, Poland" --
> but in more than ten years of research, I have yet to actually find
> the first shred of evidence that any such place has ever actually
> existed at all. Literally every single page anywhere on the web that
> links a place named Gruec to Kalisz is a genealogy forum post by me or
> a direct relative of mine inquiring about the same batch of ancestors
> from the same pool of family information; I've never found any other
> evidence that there's ever been a Gruec (or a place whose name could
> conceivably be misspelled as Gruec) anywhere near Kalisz.
>
> In truth, given that outside of that one detail the family history is
> mostly found in Volhynia (Lutsk/Rozyszcze, in particular) instead of
> Posen, I've always had a nagging suspicion that Kalisz was a
> documentation error for Halicz/Halychyna/Galicia -- but that covers a
> very large area, so pursuing that direction has been like searching
> for a needle in a haystack.

Hello Craig,
some 20 km west of Kalisz is a village Grudzielec just east of the railway from Ostrow Wielkopolski [Ostrowo] to Pleszew
[Pleschen]. The neighboring Nowy Grudzielec (just west of the railway track) is listed as "Hauland" in the Austrian map
of 1912 and as "Grudzielec Hauland" in the 1936/1944 sheet 4272 Raschkow of the 1:25.000 topographic map

    ( http://amzpbig.com/maps/4272_Raschkow_1936.jpg ).

"Hauland" sounds like a German colony.

Günther