[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Looking for Shiva, Poland

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 9 08:02:53 PDT 2012

It may be that the place name is too badly botched to derive any kind of accurate equivalent.

There is evidence of an Endler family being in the Kiev Parish as early as 1869 but this is neither Poland nor Volhynia.  I cannot find any good match in Ukraine regions (western Volhynia was part of Poland in 1927 so I thought I would check there).  In Poland there is only one reasonable possible match - Zywa Woda which is located in the far northeast corner of Poland, a short distance north of Suwalki.

Have you found a passenger ship record that might help to clarify the location name?

The majority of Endlers in our databases lived in the Chelm region of SE Poland.  You can search those specific families here - http://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html

Jerry

Jerry