[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Radom//Schiewe

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Aug 23 08:29:36 PDT 2012

Am 23.08.2012 14:49, schrieb shoning at q.com:
> As an aside, regarding the name “Schiewe”, I believe that there are variations of this name.  In my research of my family name “Czudnochowski “  or “Tschudnochowski”, I obtained an excerpt from the “Kartei Quassowski”, which was created at the time of WWI from East Prussian genealogical information, that shows a marriage of a Michael Czudochowski and Catharina Schiwy in Erdmannen, East Prussia.  Additional genealogical information about this couple is given in Michael J. Anuta’s book, "The Beautiful People Czudnochowski", but Catharina is identified in this book as Catherine Shevey.  She had immigrated to Wisconsin in June 1891.  Thus, I believe “Schiewe”, “Schiwy”, and “Shevey” are the same name.
>
> George Shoning

Hello George,
you can check this out by statistical means:
The Polish spelling (possible Polish origin) of SCHIEWE should be SZIWY which appears just 5 times in the telephone
register of the Bytom [Beuthen] area, the spelling SZIWE 15 times in the  Poznań area, SCHIWE 6 times in the Bydgoszcz
and Łodz areas and SCHIWY just 3 times in all Poland.

The German spelling SCHIEWE instead appears 56 times, 18 of them in the Bydgoszcz and 15 in the Poznań area, SCHEWE 33
times, 20 of them in the Bydgoszcz area.

The prevailing German spelling in present Poland ponts to a German origin of the name since both Bydgoszcz [Bromberg]
and Poznań [Posen] were partially inhabited by Germans.

Günther