[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Westfalen migration (was: Re: Nosowiecze)

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 20:49:07 PDT 2012

I'm not aware of any large migration from the Rheinland to eastern
territories in the 1600's.  There were two well-known migrations to the  area that
is Poland today, one that ran from 1775 - 1785 (with a maximum in  1782),
and a second one that ran from 1795 to 1806.  Each migration went to  a
different area.  The primary migration to Volhynia occurred in the late  1800's
(1868 - 1880), although some movement occurred before then.

The majority of the immigrants in the two Polish waves came from
Wurttemberg, but sizable numbers came from Mecklenburg and Baden.  Various
researchers have gone over the available records to document this.

You can read more about the Volhynian migration on the SGGEE web  site.
That too has been well documented.

As to why refugees were settled in which area, that is a mystery to  me.  I
recall my relatives saying that they were settled on a farm in  Schleswig
Holstein because they were farmers in Poland.  It is possible  that it was
easier to settle them in the north because they had a shorter  distance to
travel.  Bavaria was much further away.  You have to  remember that the entire
infrastructure of Germany was destroyed in the  war.  All remaining
transportation means were primarily in use rebuilding  the nation.  They had to
economize as much as they could.  Traveling  to Bavaria would have meant long
days traveling on foot or by wagon, all the  while keeping the roads clear for
important traffic.

Good luck!

    -Paul

In a message dated 8/30/2012 5:18:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,